Questions to Ask About Surgery-Related Side Effects
- What should I expect as far as side effects are concerned?
- How long will they last?
- Which side effects should I report? To whom should I report the side effects?
- What kind of impact will this surgery have on my bladder and bowels?
- Will the surgery damage nerves to sexual organs?
- How will my sexual relations be affected and when can I resume sexual intercourse?
- What kind of pain relief will I have?
- If I have a lymph node dissection, will this cause me to be at risk for lymphedema (a condition that occurs when lymph nodes have been removed or damaged and lymphatic fluid collects in those tissues, causing swelling or edema in the legs) .and if so, what steps can I take to avoid it?